Thursday, October 25, 2012

When did we stop listening to albums?

Has anyone else noticed that in the 70's we listened to albums and today we listen to songs? I'm not sure what that means, or says about the music of today, but it's made me curious. I'm listening to Boston, the full album and I realized I don't normally do that anymore. I have playlists with favorite songs.

Has anyone else notice that? Anyone over 40 that is. Did we change or did the music change? Or is it the difference between record players and digital? Yet, I used to make cassette tapes in the 80's & 90's of my favorite songs - my playlists, if you will - so was it truly the way albums, in particular rock albums, were made/written in the 70's?

There are albums by Boston, Rush, Styx, Billy Joel and more that I can still sit and listen to from beginning to end. Yet I haven't actually bought a CD, let alone sit and listen to a whole CD in years. I download individual songs. So what's the difference? Me or the music?

I don't have an answer. I'm just putting it out there.



Some albums I can still listen to from beginning to end:

Boston - self titled
Rush - 2112, Moving Pictures (technically not 70's. Released in 1980)
Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Styx - Crystal Ball, Pieces of Eight (links are not to full albums)
Van Halen - self titled
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

No comments:

Post a Comment